Raw Chocolate Strawberry Piekathypatalsky
Serve a slice of Raw Chocolate Strawberry Pie this spring! Grab a bowl of fresh spring strawberries and get ready to make a sweet chocolate treat made from healthy raw ingredients. But don’t let the purity of this pretty pie fool you – these flavors are bold, decadent and will whisk you away to dessert dreamland. Chocolate cashew filling meets a crumbly almond crust and juicy sweet red berries flower out on top…
The Crust. I have made this pie a few times and always love to play around with “the crust.” If you want a purely raw vegan pie, go with my almond crust recipe below. But if you want to try something different and snazzy for this pie – and other pies and raw/vegan cheesecake try shredded cereal!
I randomly used Kashi’s Autumn Wheat Wheat Biscuits – ground up and used in the same way you would for a graham cracker crust – and it was amazing! Light and fluffy, yet with a rustic texture and natural sweetness to it. Shredded wheat cereal as a yummy pie crust – who knew?!
And for the chocolate portion of this pie you also have a few options. You can use basic unsweetened cocoa powder or for all raw, go with the raw cacao powder.
You’ll find the “all raw” ingredients version of my recipe below. Make substitutions as need be!
This fresh berry chocolate pie is a perfect healthy dessert for spring!
Raw Chocolate Strawberry Pie
vegan, makes 1 pie
2 cups soaked cashews, drained
1/2 cup water (+ more as needed, will depend on how ‘soaked’ your cashews are)
1/2 cup raw agave syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
2 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
1 cup raw almonds (ground into fine bits)*
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
1/3 cup raw coconut shreds
1/4 cup soaked cashews
2 Tbsp raw agave syrup
*for non-raw crust try my Kashi (shredded) cereal idea described above!
sliced strawberries – enough to cover top of pie
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp raw agave syrup
pre: soak cashews overnight (or at least 4 hours) in salted water
1. Pulse all the crust ingredients in a high speed blender. Pulse the dry ingredients first, then add in the agave and soaked cashews.
2. Spoon the crust mixture out into your pie dish. Spread evenly – although it doesn’t have to be perfect!
3. You do not need to clean the blender for the filling blend. Add all ingredients and blend until smooth yet still slightly textured. You can add in more water if needed to achieve a thick creamy blend.
4. Pour the filling over top the crust and smooth out.
5. Slice your berries – removing the stems. Toss sliced berries in lemon juice and cayenne.
6. Arrange berries in a pretty pattern. Top with a drizzle of agave.
7. Chill pie for at least 2 hours before serving. You can speed up the chilling process by placing in freezer for 20 minutes to start.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life!
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen: