Red Beans and Rice "Mardi Gras" Veggie Burgerkathypatalsky
This Mardi Gras Veggie Burger is filled with spicy red beans and rice flavor. Turn that favorite New Orleans side dish into a main course. This easy recipe can be prepped in just a few minutes, pan-fried and added to a toasted bun with plenty of veggie toppings for a delicious feast to celebrate a not-so-fat Tuesday. This recipe makes an excellent vegetarian entree for your Mardi Gras feasting. Get the recipe..
Mardi Gras Veggie Burgers
makes 4 large patties
15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, short grain (the stickier the better)
1/2 cup panko or regular bread crumbs
2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp salt-free chili powder
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped kale, parsley or celery (for some green!)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fine black pepper
optional: 1 veggie spicy “sausage” – finely chopped
safflower or extra virgin olive oil to saute
1. Combine beans and rice in a large mixing bowl, mash together until nice and thickened.
2. Fold in remaining ingredients and continue mashing. Place mixture in fridge to chill for about 20-30 minutes so the mixture is easier to handle.
3. Grab a scoop of the mixture and form into small patties.
4. Heat 1-2 Tbsp oil in a saute pan and cook each patty for 2-3 minutes on each side. Or until browned and edges begin to crisp. For more well-done burgers, after the pan-fry, bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees before serving.
5. Serve on buns or bun-free!
More on Family Kitchen: