Last night I experimented with this Roasted Garlic Maple Cauliflower Soup – it was a hit. It’s a simple, snow white, pureed cauliflower soup – accented with fall flavors. Roasted garlic, sticky and mellow. And rich maple syrup, perfectly warm and sweet. I wasn’t sure how the maple would hold up in a soup, but I loved it. Perfect cozy starter soup for a fall dinner or warm lunch. Get my easy recipe..
Roasted Garlic Maple Cauliflower Soup
vegan, makes 10 cups
1 large head of organic cauliflower, roughly chopped (about 8-9 loosely packed cups)
3 Tbsp maple syrup (grade B or A)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy creamer (or sub)
1 cup dehydrated potato flakes (used to thicken soup to desired consistency)
1 large head of garlic, roasted in olive oil
1 tsp truffle salt (to taste)
3/4 tsp fine black pepper
Garnish: maple syrup and olive oil
optional: a pinch of saffron for an extra layer of sweet flavor
1. Chop the top off of a large head of garlic. Add head to a sheet of foil. Drizzle olive oil over top and wrap tightly. Place in 350 degree oven to bake for about 25 minutes. Pull from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
2. In a large soup pot, add the veggie broth and chopped cauliflower. Cover with lid. Let simmer until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes.
3. In a blender, add the cauliflower, veggie broth olive oil, creamer,maple syrup, salt, pepper and squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves as well (do not add skins – only garlic cloves). Puree until smooth – in batches. Add in the potato flakes as desired – up to about a cup. The flakes will thicken the soup. You can also use a fresh baked potato if you’d prefer. This step can also can be done in soup pot with immersion blender.
4. Simmer on the stove top over low heat until ready to serve.
5. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and olive oil over top.