When you need something to wake up to and put a smile on your face, make these sweet muffins. They are bright and buttery and full of fresh, ripe cherries. Seriously, there is nothing more simple, and more delicious! I was inspired to make these after my trip to the Rainier Fruit Company. I tasted so many delicious cherries out there all I wanted to do was make breakfast muffins that would highlight the bright fruit. Best of all, they come together in just minutes!
Simple Cherry Breakfast Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup pitted and sliced cherries
Topping: 1/4 cup brown sugar pinched together with 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and pinch it into the dry ingredients with your hands. This takes a few minutes to do, but make sure the butter and dry ingredients are fully combined.
3. In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg and milk. Pour them into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Note: the mixture will look odd and a little gluey, but this is totally normal.
4. Stir in the cherries until just combined.
5. Fill each cup ¾ full. Scatter a little bit of the topping on top of each muffin. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until tops are golden and spring back to the touch.