S’mores are fab. Cupcakes are fab. Why not get the two together? The great thing about these, besides the fact that they combine the flavors of s’mores in cupcake form, is the roasted marshmallow topping – no pressure to create swirly frosted tops! And they travel well – you don’t need to worry about the frosting melting or being somehow smushed.
The chocolate chip-studded graham cracker batter is topped with mini marshmallows, which toast in the oven, providing a toasted-marshmallow alternative to frosting. If you like, reserve the chocolate chips, melt them and drizzle over the tops of the finished cupcakes. (Or add more!)
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1-2 cups mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the graham crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each, then beat in the vanilla.
3. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips and divide the batter among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with a small handful of mini marshmallows.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden, the marshmallows are puffed and golden and the cakes are springy to the touch. Cool slightly in their tins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 1 dozen cupcakes.