The other day I was in the mood for a big slice of delicious banana bread. The kind of bread that fills the whole house with amazing smells while it bakes and is so soft that eating it is like biting into a cloud. I always have a stockpile of bananas in my freezer, so I thawed three of them and whipped up this quick batter. Less than an hour later I was enjoying this moist chewy treat, the perfect kind of winter comfort food for a stormy day. I even packed a slice for my daughter’s snack the next day for school. When she came home she asked for more.
Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a standard 9×5 loaf pan*.
2. Mix together butter and sugar until fully combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mix well. Add mashed bananas, mix again until completely combined.
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and chocolate chips. Stir this mixture a few times and make sure the chips are fully coated with flour.
4. Working slowly, stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Keep stirring until all flour is fully incorporated. The batter may still be a little lumpy from the bananas, this is normal.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 50 minutes or until top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, carefully remove it from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack before serving.
*You can also divide the batter into smaller loaf pans, or mini loaf pans if you want to make smaller breads.
Freezer Tips: This bread freezes well. If you want to save it for later simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Then wrap it again with an outer layer of aluminum foil. Make sure none of the bread is exposed to air. It will last in the freezer for 2-4 months.