Spicy Lemongrass Vegetable Chicken Souplaurasrecipes
It’s that time of year… with the changes in weather and return to school cold and flu season is on the way. Each year I make a soup that has enough nutrition and jalapeno spice to knock out even the worst cold symptoms.
This is easy to make and you can add whatever veggies you desire. The broth is delicious and packed with the nutrients of fresh, lightly cooked vegetables.
- 2 or 3 boneless skinless (organic) chicken breasts (cut into small cubes)
- 3 carrots, sliced then halved
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 jalapenos, diced (you may also use Thai chiles)
- 2 yellow squash, sliced then halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 boxes (64 oz) organic chicken broth or homemade broth
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup broccoli (just tops, trimmed to small size)
- 2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed (top 1/3 disgarded) and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, rough chopped
- sea salt and pepper
In a large stockpot, cook chicken cubes over medium heat stirring to avoid overcooking or browned edges… until chicken is cooked on all sides but not cooked through.
Add all remaining ingredients to the stockpot with the chicken (except lemongrass and cilantro) and allow to gently simmer (never boil) for about 30-40 minutes. You may vary the cook time to adjust the texture of the vegetables. I like mine firm not mushy.
Add lemongrass and simmer another 10 minutes. Before serving add cilantro leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.