I’m a big fritter fan. It is so easy to crave those crispy pan-fried cakes of deliciousness. And bean- and veggie-filled fritters can be packed with healthy ingredients and still taste amazing. These Spinach-Coconut Chickpea Fritters are divine. And to make them even healthier, you can bake them. Baked or lightly fried, these crispy, savory cakes are a must try. Fall in love with fritters.
Panko Crumbs 1 of 5Roll the bean mixture into dish of Panko crumbs.
Bake of Fry 2 of 5You can either bake or fry these fritters. I like to lightly fry in safflower oil for a super crispy texture.
Fritter Bowl 3 of 5Serve fritters in a bowl over rice and along with some avocado guacamole.
Spinach Coconut 4 of 5Spinach and coconut flavors are sweet and savory with an accent of nutritional yeast.
Serve Warm of Chilled 5 of 5You can serve these fritters warm from the pan or chill them in the fridge for easy grab and go deliciousness.
Spinach-Coconut Chickpea Fritters
vegan, makes about 10 cakes
1 can cannelloni beans, drained & mashed
1 can chickpeas, drained & half-mashed
1 1/4 cups frozen spinach (or fresh wilted/chopped)
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs + another cup for coating
1 tsp agave syrup
2 Tbsp coconut milk (the hard white part after chilled)
1/4 tsp pink salt
safflower oil for frying
1. Add the beans, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, salt, pepper and agave syrup to a large mixing bowl. Mash until the cannelloni beans are all smashed, and half the chickpeas are smashed.
2. Fold in the spinach and 1/4 cup Panko crumbs.
3. Heat a skillet over med-high heat with 1-2 Tbsp of safflower oil.
4. Roll a small ball of the bean mixture in the extra 1 cup of Panko crumbs. Add to pan. Repeat until pan if filled. (Note: you can also bake the fritters for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees)
5. Cool on each side about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and allow fritters to cool on paper bowl. They will be very delicate upon removing from pan.
6. Serve warm or chill in fridge. Chilled fritters will firm up quite nicely and taste amazing too!
Read more from Kathy on Kathy’s blog, Healthy. Happy. Life!
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen: