Sticky Sweet White Sweet Potatokathypatalsky
If you can get your hands on a white sweet potato then you are in luck because a sticky sweet, blissful potato-lovers’ experience awaits you. This deviled sweet potato combines savory and sweet flavors and is perfect as a hearty side dish or even a savory-ish dessert. This recipe is an exotic dish that sweet potato fans will enjoy trying..
White sweet potatoes bake up even sweeter and stickier than golden sweet potatoes! So they offer a unique caramelized taste and texture that is easy to fall in love with.
You can stuff your baked sweet potato with a wide variety of ingredients both savory and sweet. Try:
* diced veggies like onions, parsley and bell pepper
* wilted greens like kale or chard
* roasted hearty veggies like broccoli florets or mushrooms
* beans and lentils
* chopped apples and walnuts, caramelized with maple syrup + salt (sweet version!)
Or you can scoop the potato and mash it with whatever seasonings and spices you’d like, then re-stuff the potato with the seasoned mash.
This recipe includes a warm turmeric filling, slightly sweet and spicy.
Sticky Sweet Deviled White Sweet Potato
makes one potato
1 medium white sweet potato, baked until sticky and caramelized
1/2 cup scooped potato flesh
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
optional: nutritional yeast to taste for a cheezy accent
parsley to garnish
1. Bake sweet potato in oven until tender. About 400 degrees for 30-60 minutes.
2. Remove the top part of the flaky potato skin – it should be crispy and light by now to easily peel away.
3. Scoop out the potato flesh and mash the filling ingredients. Fill the potato with the mash.
4. Garnish and serve warm.
photo credit: Kathy Patalsky
More on Family Kitchen: