Last year, The Pioneer Woman introduced a massive audience of readers to Josh and Maria Lichty’s food blog, Two Peas and Their Pod: The Cooking Newlyweds, and from there we’ve been hooked. Maria’s simple, friendly style of cooking and baking is a welcome treat. She and Josh serve up delicious treats almost daily, from desserts to dinners, along with a light-hearted look into their everyday lives.
With Valentines Day right around the corner, I couldn’t think of a more fun way to celebrate the season of romance than with a yummy treat punctuated with an online version of the Newlywed Game with Josh & Maria.
Several weeks ago, Josh and Maria were given a list of questions. Each answered the questions without the other one knowing, and neither of them have seen the answers (until now! How fun is this?!). Below you’ll find their hilarious (and sometimes quite impressive) responses. Below that, you’ll find the knock-your-socks off recipe for Strawberry Sweethearts Cocoa, a deliciously sweet treat made with melted strawberry ice cream. Maria, Josh & hot toddy to sip. It looks like romance is officially in the air!
MARIA & JOSH’S NEWLYWED QUESTIONS
1. What is Josh’s favorite comfort food?
- MARIA: I don’t know if donuts are considered a comfort food, but they are Josh’s favorite. If I let him, he would eat them morning, noon, and night.
2. What is Maria’s favorite cookbook?
- MARIA: Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.
- JOSH: Dorie Greenspan’s book, Baking From My Home To Yours. P.S. Dorie is an amazing woman
3. Who makes the biggest mess in the kitchen?
- MARIA: I’ll be honest, I am the messy one. Josh is very good at doing the dishes and cleaning up. We make a great team in the kitchen.
- JOSH: MARIA. If she says different I challenge her to a lie detector test.I don’t mind helping her clean the kitchen though. It is always worth the mess.
4. If Josh made a romantic dinner for Maria, what would be on the menu?
- MARIA: Probably something Italian with salad and cookies for dessert.
- JOSH: Some type of homemade pasta with a marinara sauce a salad and lots of fresh flowers on the table. Maria loves fresh flowers.
5. You’ve gone to the 7-11 to pick up milk. On a whim, Josh decides to get Maria a little surprise treat. What does he pick up at the 7-11?
- MARIA: My favorite treats don’t come from the 7-11 so hopefully he would keep driving and find me some frozen yogurt or bake me a batch of cookies:)
- JOSH: I would get donuts because Maria wont eat any of 7-11 goodies so I would get some goodies for myself and offer her a bite.
6. What is your wife’s favorite – dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, or jelly beans?
- MARIA: Dark chocolate
- JOSH: Dark Chocolate
7. What did you do for your first, official date?
- MARIA: We were friends before we officially started dating. Josh will probably say we went to an Italian restaurant, but that was not an official date in my opinion:) For our first official date, Josh showed up at my house with a single red rose and took me out for sushi. We went back to his house and watched Transformers and had ice cream.
- JOSH: Well we have a big disagreement on this topic. I say it was Lugano’s a great Italian restaurant in Salt Lake City.
For more fun with Josh & Maria, visit them on their website at www.TwoPeasAndTheirPod.com
Make your sweetheart feel like a newlywed this year with this simple melted ice cream cocoa, served in chocolate-dipped mugs for an extra-special treat.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream
- 4 cups water
- Whipped cream
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
In a medium-sized bowl, melt the chocolate chips and dip the top of four mugs into the chocolate. Set aside, allowing chocolate to harden.
In a medium pot, whisk together the butter, sugar, and ice cream over medium high heat until melted. Whisk in the water, one cup at a time until your favorite texture/flavor is achieved. Heat just until steaming. Pour into chocolate-rimmed mugs. Garnish with a dollop of whipping cream and a sprinkling of chocolate sprinkles. Serve with your favorite bite-sized cookies for dipping. Happy Valentines Day!