Add some Banana Bread flavor to just about any cozy dish with this sweet and nutty Banana Walnut Topping. Add it to oatmeal, your favorite yogurt, pancakes, waffles and more. This heated fruit and nut mixture is also a great way to use up over-ripe bananas. Boost this topping by add in a wide variety of seeds as this mixture cools to give this blend superfood appeal! Try chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. Get the recipe..
Super Seed Banana Walnut Topping
vegan, makes about 3 cups
1 1/4 cups raw walnuts, chopped
2 bananas, diced into chunky cubes
2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp vanilla extract (opt’l)
1 Tbsp vegan butter (Earth Balance)
1 Tbsp superfood seeds (chia, flax or pumpkin..)
1. Warm up a nonstick skillet.
2. Add the vegan butter wait until sizzling hot.
3. In a small bowl, toss your bananas and walnuts with the sweetener, spices and vanilla. Add mixture to hot skillet.
4. Allow to saute for about 5 minutes over med-high heat. Stir a bit so that the nuts don’t burn.
5. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
6. Fold in the raw seeds. By not heating the seeds, you are preserving all their raw nutrients like delicate omega 3 fatty acids.
To Serve: Add warm over top baked goods, hot cereal and more. Or chill in the fridge for a firm and sticky topping.
More on Family Kitchen: