If you love the taste of corn bread, homemade tortillas, pancakes or all three, this recipe for Sweet Maple Skillet Corn Cakes is worth a try. These sweet tender cakes combines all those flavors, textures and techniques in one unique side dish. The taste is like a sweet corn bread while the preparation is as easy (easier actually!) as making pancakes. And the ingredients are similar to when you make fresh corn tortillas. But for this recipe, you do not need a fancy tortilla press! Oh and these tasty cakes are gluten free to! Get the recipe..
Serve these cakes along side dinner, at brunch or with a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream over top for a decadent and unique dessert treat! Quite the versatile and delicious little recipe…
Sweet Maple Skillet Corn Cakes
makes 5-7 cakes
1 cup masa harina
1 cup water
1 tsp lime juice, fresh + pinch of zest (optional
2-4 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp Earth Balance, vegan buttery spread
1. Combine the masa harina, lime and water in a bowl. Fold well. Let sit for 5-20 minutes to fully absorb and soften a bit.
2. Roll out the patties with your hands.
3. Heat 1-2 tsp vegan buttery spread in a hot skillet. Add 2-3 corn cakes. Add 1-3 tsp maple syrup over top.
4. Allow to cook for 1 minute on each side. A bit longer for thicker cakes.
5. Cool on a greased plate so that they do not stick. Serve warm.
More on Family Kitchen: