Tart Cherry Juice in a Chocolate Pudding Parfaitkathypatalsky
The classic combo of tart cherry juice and chocolate is not only delicious, but healthy! Both cherries and chocolate are rich in antioxidants. And both whole cherries and tart cherry juice contain healthy phytochemicals.
Chocolate and cherries for dessert? Yes, please. This creamy chocolate pudding parfait is a delicious way to enjoy cherry flavor. And check out the secret ingredient I use to make this chocolate pudding extra-creamy.
Secret Ingredient #1: Tart Cherry Juice (sweet-tart cherry topping)
Secret Ingredient #2 (for extra creaminess): Silken Tofu (rich in protein too!)
Tofu! It’s easy to achieve ultra-creamy pudding without adding high-fat extras like heavy cream. Try silken tofu! Combined with the cherries and chocolate, you really won’t even know it’s there.
Tart Cherry Juice Sauce! This basic fruit juice sauce is incredibly easy to craft. I like to make it right before serving my chilled pudding so that the cherry sauce is still warm and drizzles perfectly over top my dessert. As the sauce cools, it will firm up a tad into a spoonable texture. Check out this sauce..
This is one of my favorite pudding recipes. You can see my original recipe here. For this version, I’ve included tart cherry juice to amp up the healthy benefits!..
Read about the benefits of tart cherry juice.
Tart Cherry Juice Chocolate Pudding Parfait
vegan, makes 3 large parfaits
1 2/3 cups silken tofu
3 Tbsp tart cherry juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 package vegan chocolate pudding mix (non-vegan mix will also work)
Tart Cherry Juice Topping:
1 1/2 cups tart cherry juice
1-2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (opt’l)
1 Tbsp corn starch
1-2 Tbsp vegan buttery spread
1 lb cherries, pitted, halved (about 3 cups) (opt’l, see note below)
1 cup of graham crackers, crushed
Note: if you don’t have fresh cherries, you can simply use the chocolate pudding and the tart cherry juice topping for a flavorful combo. You can also sub with other fresh seasonal fruit.
1. Wash, pit and halve all your cherries. Reserve about 3/4 cup fresh cherries for garnishing and layering.
2. Bring your tart cherry juice, tofu, sugar and pudding mix to a soft boil on your stove top.
3. Add in the vanilla extract, cocoa and cinnamon. Transfer your mixture to a food processor or blender – carefully blend until smooth. Transfer back into soup pot and continue process. Or use a wand blender right in the stove pot. Blend with caution.
4. Your mixture should be smooth now – all the tofu silky. Fold in your cherries (except for the reserved cherries). Bring mixture to a boil and stirring constantly, allow to boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Turn off heat and immediately pour cherry/chocolate mixture into parfait cups – layer with crushed grahams and fresh cherries in parfait cups.
6. Garnish with the reserved fresh cherries.
7. Place your parfaits into fridge to chill – for at least an hour.
8. Lastly, make your cherry juice topping by dissolving cornstarch into cold juice. Stir juice mixture with remaining ingredients over medium heat – until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat. You can spoon warm cherry sauce over chilled pudding. Or place in fridge to firm a bit.
You can even make this recipe into a Pudding Pie (or Pie-Fait) if you’d like. See how.