Watermelon is one of the most universally loved seasonal snacks, and yet despite its popularity, people tend to not do much with it beyond cut it into wedges and serve straight-up. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)
Besides being delicious, watermelon is actually good for you. It’s a lycopene leader when it comes to fresh produce, having higher concentrations of lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable. (To compare, 2 cups of watermelon contains about 18 mg – one medium tomato contains 4 mg.) Watermelon is also an excellent source of Vitamins A, B6 and C, and being mostly (92%) water, it’s is an excellent hydrator – important during the hot summer months when kids are active and need to replenish their fluids.
First, how to select a good-quality watermelon?
Look the watermelon over. You are looking for a firm, symmetrical watermelon that is free from bruises, cuts or dents.
Lift it up. The watermelon should be heavy for its size. Watermelon is 92% water, most of the weight is water.
Turn it over. The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
Once you get yours home, here’s an easy tutorial on how to cut a watermelon.
And here are ten new ideas for watermelon lovers:
1. When you’re looking for an alternative to juices, slurpees and other high-sugar summer drinks, chill out with pure Watermelon Agua Fresca
2. A nutritious alternative to ice cream and popsicles, kids will love Real Watermelon Sno-Cones
3. Carving isn’t just for pumpkins anymore – when you’re feeding a crowd, it takes ten minutes to create a Watermelon Hedgehog
4. Flavor your soda in style with Frozen Fruit Ice Cubes
5. Turn watermelon into a summery main course with Watermelon Caprese Salad
6. Ensure your kids get the whole fruit – make real Watermelon Popsicles.
7. For snacking, make a munchable batch of Watermelon Salsa
8. When kids are around, turn watermelon into a Watermelon Banana Split
Kids Watermelon Pizza Supreme
1 (8-to-10 inch round and 1-inch thick) watermelon slice, drained to remove excess moisture
1 cup strawberry preserves
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Place the watermelon slice on a serving platter and cut into 6 wedges leaving them in the shape of a pizza. Spread the preserves over the watermelon and sprinkle the toppings over the top. Serves 6.
Do you have any favorite uses for a juicy watermelon?