Tessa Kiros is one of my favorite cookbook authors of all time. In each of her books Tessa draws readers into the flavors of her world through her stories and photographs of her life spent traveling the globe as a child and, later, chef. Now living in Tuscany with her husband and two daughters, she writes about what she cooks for her family and how her eclectic upbringing in Finland, South Africa and Greece has influenced her palate. As a parent who understands the chaos of family life, Tessa’s recipes are warm and accessible, emphasizing that the joys of nourishing one’s family should not be a stressful endeavor. The pages of each volume are filled with her daughter’s drawings, whimsical photographs from her home and musings on life as a cook and a mother. It is only fair, since I could go on all day about the wonders of Tessa, that I invite you take a chance to win a set of three Tessa Kiros cookbooks, Apples for Jam, Falling Cloudberries and Venezia.
As you’ll see below, to win the set of books we would love to hear about your fantasy Italian meal. In the spirit of the contest, I’ll go first:
Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi with Browned Butter Sage Sauce
Prosciutto & Cheese
I happen to make Tessa’s Homemade Ricotto Gnocchi all the time. It is fabulously simple and decadent to eat. Since it is so light it makes a perfect summer dish, especially when tossed with fresh pesto.
Homemade Ricotta Gnocchi by Tessa Kiros
2 c. good quality ricotta cheese
3 T. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil.
2. While the water is heating up, mix together the ricotta, Parmesan, flour and salt in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
3. Lightly flour your hands and roll out the dough into thin sausages about 1/4″ thick. Be careful not to add too much flour on your hands or the surface of the counter or the gnocchi will get tough.
4. Cut gnocchi with a sharp knife into pieces about 3/4″ long. Drop into boiling water and cook for about 45 seconds, or until they float to the surface. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and place in serving bowls. Serve with pesto, tomato sauce or browned butter sauce.
To be entered to win these books, here are the entry rules:
1. Leave a comment below describing your fantasy Italian meal.
2. Only one comment per email address.
3. Contest is open from Tuesday June 1st at 1:30pm ET to Monday June 7th at 12:00 midnight ET.
4. The winner will be picked by a panel of Babble Editors and the winner will be notified by email.
5. Winner must have a valid email address and provide a valid mailing address. If winner does not respond to our notification email within 48 hours a new winner will be selected.