I have a constantly-rotating supply of canned foods in my pantry. Amongst that supply is a roster of ‘usual suspects’ that always have a home on my shelf. I love these particular canned foods because they are versatile and oh-so-delicious!
Here are a few of my tasty canned food favorites!
- Canned tomatoes: You will never find me without cans of diced tomatoes at the ready! I also usually have canned tomato sauce, tomato paste and a can or two of whole tomatoes on hand, too. Oh the things you can make with these wonderful, basic ingredients! Also, I am frequently disappointed by the flavor of fresh tomatoes from the produce section and now only buy them when tomatoes are in season in my neck of the woods. For the rest of the year I prefer to use canned tomatoes, which were sealed at the peak of freshness and have better flavor.
- Beans: Chickpeas/garbanzo beans, black beans, cannellini beans and refried beans are always in my pantry. I use them in so many recipes I can’t keep track! I think my favorite is canned chickpeas – they always bring so much flavor to whatever food I add them to!
- Fruits: Peaches, mandarin oranges and pineapple are our family’s favorites. They are great for snacks and for recipes!
- Corn: I love canned corn for recipes. It has great taste and the texture holds up well when cooking.
- Chicken broth: Having cans of chicken broth on hand is handy for when I’m cooking all kinds of meals.
- Milk: Both evaporated and sweetened condensed milk are pantry staples that are perfect for all kinds of baking. And it’s everything I can do to not eat sweetened condensed milk straight from the can!
The following 9 tastiest canned food recipes feature many of my favorite canned foods. These recipes are on my list of go-to recipes for when I need something especially delicious!