Last month I got these awesome cookie cutters from Red Envelope that you can use to make three dimensional cut-out Christmas cookies. They looked so cool I just had to try them. The first thing I did was get out my go-to cut out sugar cookie recipe that makes the perfect sugar cookies every single time. I swear, if you need one go-to sugar cookie recipe this is it. They hold their shape in oven so they can be assembled into three dimensional objects once they’ve cooled. Here is my go-to sugar cookie recipe for Christmas, I highly suggest you pick up some three dimensional cookie cutters!
Cut Out Sugar Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoon whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 ½ cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beat until combined. Add milk and vanilla, mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour to the wet ingredients, adding slowly until flour mixture is incorporated.
4. Chill batter in the fridge for 4-6 hours, or overnight.
5. When ready, roll dough out until 1/8 inch thick on a floured surface. Using cookie cutters, cut cookies in desired shapes.
6. Transfer shapes to cookie sheets and baking for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Cool completely before frosting.
Santa won’t expect these 16 Sweet Holiday Recipes!