This past weekend, a friend of mine put together a bake sale and asked me to bake something to sell. I was unsure what I should make and wanted to bake something seasonal… the first thought that came to mind was fruit cake. Then my Mom said, “Who likes fruit cake?” I told her, “You got a point, I’m going to make a modern fruit cake, and make it irresistible.” I did just that, and added a cream cheese frosting to the top, and they were gone in no time. Looks like I’ll have to make a new batch for myself.
Coconut Apple Carrot Cupcakes 1 of 12
I have deemed these the modern fruit cake. Packed with fruit, and super yummy. Decorate them any way you want, it's the inside that counts.
Wet Ingredients 2 of 12
Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix to combine.
Dry Ingredients 3 of 12
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix to combine then mix into the wet ingredients.
Fruits And Nuts 4 of 12
Mix these lovely fruits and nuts into the cake batter.
The Batter 5 of 12
The batter should look like this.
1/4 Cup 6 of 12
The best way to measure out your batter, is with a 1/4 measuring cup. This makes all the cupcakes uniform, and allows them to bake evenly.
Stick Them In The Oven 7 of 12
Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Cool Off 8 of 12
Take them out of the oven and allow to cool down completely.
Golden Cupcake 9 of 12
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting 10 of 12
Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Spread with a butter knife.
Decorate As You Wish 11 of 12
I used characters from the Nutcracker to adorn my cupcakes, but sprinkles would work fine too.
Enjoy Your Fruit Cake 12 of 12
Take to the next holiday party and enjoy!
Ingredients for the modern fruit cake – coconut apple carrot cupcakes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 – cup orange juice
- 1 – tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 – cups all-purpose flour
- 1 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 – teaspoon salt
- 1 – tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 – teaspoon powered ginger
- 2 – cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped green apples
- 1 – cup grated carrots
- 1 - cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 – cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 – ounces cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 – stick unsalted butter (room temp)
- 2 1/2 – cups powdered sugar
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 2 cupcake pans with cupcake paper liners (24). Set to the side.
- In a mixer add in sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and powdered ginger together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add in the apples, carrots, coconut, and pecans. Mix to combine.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup into each paper lined holder.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Make the frosting: Combine all ingredients for frosting in a mixer and beat until creamy smooth for about 2 minutes. Frost each cupcake generously.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.