Top Ten Resistant Starch FoodsAngie McGowan
Low carb and carb free diets move aside. The newest rage is the Carb Lover’s Diet. This diet teaches that there are two types of carbohydrates, good and bad. The good carbohydrates, known as resistant starches are what the diet focuses on. The authors say you should eat 10 – 15 grams of resistant starch per day. They say if you do this, you will kick up your fat burning by about 25%. Seems too good to be true doesn’t it? Well, I don’t know about you, but I will be incorporating these foods in my diet, because it can only help.
Here’s a list of the top 10 resistant starch foods you can incorporate in your diet today. All you have to lose is fat right?
1. Bananas and plantains – They should be on the green side. Yes I know, they are so much better a little brown, but for the bananas to be classified as a resistant starch, the bananas must be a little green.
2. Brown rice and barley- This is an easy one, just forget you ever heard of white rice, and permanently switch to brown rice. It does take a little longer to cook, but is well worth it. Incorporate barley in your favorite soups.
3. Whole wheat pastas – This one is easier than brown rice. That’s because whole wheat pasta cooks in the same time white pastas cook. Just never buy white pasta again.
4. White pasta – wait, you just told me white pasta is a no-no right. Well, not exactly. If the white pasta is cooled, the starch will recrystallize, and then it becomes resistant. So cooled white pasta is okay.
4. Breads – Whole Wheat, rye, sour dough, pumpernickel or anything else you want to eat, just steer clear of plain white bread. Also avoid donuts, muffins, crescents or anything else sugar covered and fat filled.
5. Potatoes – Baked potatoes and potato chips are okay. Just don’t go overboard with dishes like potatoes au gratin.
6. Tortilla chips -Tortilla chips are okay, and much better than the crackers we would normally go for.
7. Chocolate – Dark chocolate and chocolate covered peanut butter cups
8. Oatmeal – this is the perfect carb for your breakfast
9. White Beans and Garbanzo beans- incorporate these in your salads and soups
10. Lentils – can be prepared in a variety of ways. Here’s my favorite: Lentil Chili
The authors also say that wine in moderation is okay on this diet too.