When I think of a trip to Maine that my husband and I took a few months ago, I think about whoopie pies. Yes, we went shopping at the outlets and sight-seeing but the one thing at the top of the agenda was to grab a box of assorted pies from Wicked Whoopies. In fact, if you follow the link above you will see a photo of me holding a huge psychedelic whoopie pie from Wicked Whoopies.
So, with Valentine’s Day around the corner, I was thinking about a little sweet something to make and the color red popped into my head and red + sweets to me = Heart Shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pie…..
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies Cakes (Yield approx. 30)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ tbsp. cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 oz. red food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. Spray a cooking sheet with baking spray.
2. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the brown sugar and softened butter until they are light and fluffy. Add the egg beating until incorporated and then add the vanilla.
3. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients, followed by 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Repeat with the dry ingredients and buttermilk until well combined but not over-mixed. Add the food coloring and evenly but gently combine.
4. Place Tablespoon-sized drops of batter onto prepared abking sheet. Bake for 8-10 or until the tops are firm. Cool completely before frosting.
6 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
16 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment) beat butter until smooth and creamy. Then add the cream cheese and beat until well mixed. Sift confectioner’ sugar into the cream cheese mixture and then and add vanilla and beat just until smooth.
2. Apply icing to the inside of one whoopie cake and then top with other cake, prettiest side up.
Latest on Savor the Thyme: Martha Bakes but Does She Lick The Beaters?