Vanilla Coconut Cream Latte - Dairy Free!kathypatalsky
This Vanilla Coconut Cream Latte (or kids cocoa) is soft and fragrant with a tropical vanilla-coconut essence, undertones of maple and spice. A shot of rich espresso swirls with warmed dairy-free milk. To top it all off, I’ve swirled a rich coconut milk “whipped cream” on top – with specks of crushed Tahitian vanilla bean and coconut. See how I made this luscious, creamy, spooky-mug-optional, fall beverage (dairy-free, with whip)..
Kid-Friendly Version: Replace the shot of espresso with 1 heaping spoonful of your favorite cocoa mix and a few more spoonfuls of water or soy milk.
* sub chai tea mix for espresso = chai latte
* 2 espresso shots = caffeine cravers latte
* 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin = pumpkin coconut vanilla latte
* 1 tablespoon cocoa mix into espresso version = coconut vanilla mocha
* use real scooped vanilla bean pod seeds instead of vanilla extract = real vanilla latte
* spooky mug = spooky ghost latte
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream. I was skeptical myself. How could I possibly make whipped cream out of anything except real dairy cream? But I’ve gleefully found that it can be done! In fact, it’s easy.
Coconut Milk Whipped cream:
1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled in fridge overnight
2 Tbsp powdered/confectioners sugar
1 beater OR whipping cream dispenser
1. Open coconut milk. Scoop the firmed top of the coconut milk into a bowl. Try to avoid the light watery liquid and just scoop the thick white stuff.
2. Fold the confectioners sugar into the coconut milk. Smoothing out the clumps.
3. With a beater, beat the mixture until fluffy enough for spooning. OR if you have a whipping cream dispenser – use this mixture as you would heavy cream.
Whipping Cream Dispenser. I bought this thing on a whim, but must say, I love it! It serves up 100% whipped coconut milk cream in seconds. I don’t think i will ever have to buy “whipped cream” (I buy the soy cream) every again!
You can buy the product I used online: iSi Easy Whip, 1-Pint Cream Whipper
Vanilla-Coconut Cream Latte
vegan, makes 2 lattes
2 shots espresso
2 1/2 cups of soy or other non-dairy milk
coconut “whipped cream” (see above)
4 drops real vanilla extract
2 Tbsp maple syrup
a few dashes cinnamon
1 dash cayenne
sweeten further with sugar to taste (if needed)
garnish: coconut flakes and crushed vanilla bean
1. Heat your non-dairy milk and brew your espresso shots. Combine. 1 1/4 cups of milk and 1 espresso shot per mug. Add more espresso if you’d like!
2. Add the vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon and cayenne – split between the two mugs.
3. Stir briskly. Add whipped coconut milk topping and garnish. Serve!
Serve it in a spooky mug for a ghostly, spooky latte..