Warmly Spiced Sweet Potato Home Frieskathypatalsky
These sweet potato home fries are warmly spiced with cinnamon, chipotle and a touch of cayenne. A hint of maple syrup and sprinkle of citrus zest enhances the naturally sweet flavor of the potatoes. Caramelized sweet onions mingle with the pan-fried potatoes. Crunchy, nutty cashews are tossed in there too. These sweet and sassy home fries are perfect served at brunch in place of traditional white potatoes. Plus, sweet potatoes will provide a nice dose of vitamin A too! Get this breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner-approved recipe..
Warmly Spiced Sweet Potato Home Fries
vegan, makes about 4 cups
1 extra large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp safflower oil
1/2 tsp freshly ground orange zest
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp chipotle
a few pinches cayenne (to taste)
2 tsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp orange juice
salt and pepper to taste (try 1/4 tsp salt to start)
1/4 cup nuts (cashews, pecans or slivered almonds work well)
Tip! For faster cooking, half-bake the potato in your oven the night before and place the unpeeled potato in the fridge to chill. Peel and proceed as normal with the slightly softened potato.
1. Prep your potato and onion.
2. Add the potatoes to a deep skillet and cover with water. Cover with lid and boil potatoes until tender but not mushy.
3. Drain water from potatoes. Add potatoes, onions and all seasonings (except the zest and orange juice) to mixing bowl and toss well.
4. Add oil to fry pan and toss in onions and potato mixture. Cook until edges become caramelized.
5. About one minute before turning off heat, toss in the nuts and sprinkle over the zest and add citrus juice. Shake pan a bit and turn off heat after one minute or so.
6. Allow potatoes to rest ion pan until ready to serve. (Or remove from pan right away if you are worries about over-browning them.)
Serve hot from the skillet!
* Alongside tofu scramble
* Alongside a breakfast sandwich
* Inside a breakfast burrito
* Over top some greens for a salad – add a grain, beans or chili too!
* Served as a potato side dish
More on Family Kitchen:
* 7 Easy Tips for Low Sodium Cooking
* Queen Cake with Fresh Fruit
* 10 Tropical Recipes to Cheer Up Winter Weather
* Red Beans and Rice Mardi Gras Veggie Burger
* Cheezy “Kale Chip” Kale side dish
* 16 Creative Sweet Potato Recipes
* Double Chocolate Cake loaf