Watercress and 9 More Healthy Greens to Try!kathypatalsky
One of my favorite leafy green varieties is watercress. It has a snappy, spicy flavor that easily perks up any dull salad.
Watercress is rich in leafy green nutrients and it’s becoming more widely available in mainstream supermarkets. It is sometimes packed with the roots and water to preserve freshness. So look for it in the fridge section. It also comes in bags for quick pre-washed ease. But watercress isn’t the only creative, healthy, (not-iceberg-lettuce) leafy green to try, here are nine more!..
Watercress Nutrition. Rich in vitamins A, K, and C. It is also rich in minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus. More nutrition facts.
Fun Fact! Watercress was traditionally found along waterways and stream banks. Thus the name, watercress.
Ten Healthy Greens to Try!
1. Watercress. Taste is zesty. Texture is hydrating, crunchy and crisp. Color is dark green.
2. Arugula. Taste is spicy. Texture is delicate. Color is deep green.
3. Radicchio. Taste is bitter and bright. Texture is creamy and chewy. Color is deep purple and white marbled.
4. Endive. Taste is bright and lemony. Texture is crisp and firm. Color is white-yellow.
5. Fennel(as slaw). Taste is licorice essence and spicy. Texture is crunchy, hydrating. Color is lightest green to white(bulb).
6. Butter Lettuce. Taste is mellow. Texture is creamy, buttery and tender. Color is light green to bright green.
7. Mache. Taste is nutty and grassy. Texture is tender, like velvet. Color is deep green. Mache is one of my faves! It is high in folate, vitamin C, A, K. Iron, fiber and more. Plus it has a tender nutty flavor that most kids and adults love.
8. Cabbage. Taste is mild to bland. Absorbs flavors well. Texture is crunchy to chewy. Color varies.
9. Boston Lettuce. Taste is mellow and nutty. Texture is creamy, tender. Color is green to bright dark green.
10. Frisee. Taste is bitter, tart. Texture is chewy, frizzy and stringy. Color is light green to white.
More yummy salad inspiration..