My brother- and sister-in-law had an open-house party one hot, sunny day earlier this month. There were over a dozen kids there (all under 10) and though there were scooters and bikes and Big Wheels and whiffle ball bats and blow-up kiddie pools, and frisbees and Nerf footballs and a lake down the road to swim in, well, you name it — even though there were all of these things, the best part of the day was the watermelon eating contest.
It is as simple and as fun as it sounds. Here are some tips for throwing your own watermelon eating contest:
- Cut half-moon shape pieces (as shown) and give one to each kid.
- After “On your mark, get set, go,” whoever finishes his or her piece the fastest (that means NO red showing, only the white of the rind) is the winner.
- We had two age categories: the under 6 and the over 6.
- Make sure everyone is wearing bathing suits or clothes you don’t really care about.
- Have a camera on hand! The intense looks on the kids’ faces during the 45 seconds of collective mauling will have all the spectators in stitches.