Wheat Berry Salad with Coronation Grapes
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
- 2 cups halved Ontario Coronation grapes
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
Cook wheat berries in a large pot of boiling, salted water (uncovered) until they are soft, about 20 minutes. Drain in sieve.
In skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium high-heat. Add red onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour in remaining oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add warm wheat berries, red pepper, cucumber, grapes and basil and toss to combine. Transfer to a bowl and let salad rest for at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally so the wheat can absorb the dressing.
Sprinkle with feta and serve at room temperature.