Whiskey Ice Cream with Caramelized Corn FlakesKelsey Banfield
When I saw my friend Carmen recently we exchanged a few recipe ideas and she gave me this one for Whiskey Ice Cream with Caramelized Corn Flakes. I immediately loved the idea since I am a homemade ice cream nut in the summer. This awesome flavor sounded like a great adult treat. I also loved her idea to stir in caramelized corn flakes for extra crunch. She had eaten them in ice cream before and found that they were very easy to make at home. When I got home the first thing I did was pull out my frozen ice cream bowl and start churning away. This delicious ice cream came together in no time and the adults loved it!
Whiskey Ice Cream with Caramelized Corn Flakes
Adapted from Epicurious
3 ½ ounces whiskey
¼ pint whole milk
½ pint heavy cream
6 egg yolks from medium eggs
2 tablespoons light, floral honey
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat add 3 ounces of the whiskey and simmer until the alcohol has burned off, about a minute. Then, carefully stir in the milk and cream and slowly bring it to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks and honey until the mixture has doubled in size and is fluffy.
3. Carefully pour about ½ cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks mixture and whisk well to temper. Return the pot back to the flame and carefully whisk in the egg mixture, whisking over low heat for about a minute.
4. Pour the hot mixture into a large bowl and stir in the remaining mixing. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least two hours to chill.
5. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
For the topping:
Adapted from the New York Times
3/4 cup Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
3 tablespoons nonfat milk powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted.
1. Preheat the oven to 275F. Crush the corn flakes and place them in a large bowl. Stir together the milk powder, sugar and salt and sprinkle it over the flakes. Stir in the melted butter and spread the mixture evenly on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool before breaking up and sprinkling over the ice cream.
Craving more frozen treats? Check out these cool recipes!