I have ventured into the world of wild rice and don’t think I’ll be turning back anytime soon. I was at a fancy organic market the other day and looking through the already made deli section and came across a wild rice salad. I pulled my number and waited my turn to order my obnoxiously expensive small container of salad. As I dug my fork in I realized the salad was bit on the bland side and needed some pizzazz, but I did like the slight bite the wild rice gave the salad. I thought, “I’ll never buy this salad again, I’ll just go home and make something extraordinary that my family will love.” My Mom was over that day, so I add mangos and arugula to please her palate. It was a win win and gone in minutes.
Ingredients for Wild Rice Mango Arugula Salad:
- 1 – cup black wild rice
- 2 1/3 – cups chicken broth
- 1 – cup cucumber (chopped into cubes)
- 1 – cup panela cheese (chopped into cubes)
- 6 – basil leaves (chopped into strips)
- 20 – cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/4 – cup pine nuts
- 1/2 – cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 – cup diced pear
- 1 – cup arugula
- 1 – large avocado (diced)
- 1/2 – cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 – cup mango (diced)
For the dressing:
- 1/2 – cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1/4 – cup olive oil (I use Roland Foods)
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a pot over a medium high flame add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in rice and return to a boil. Once boiling place a lid on the pot and lower flame to simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and let rice rest in pot for 10 minutes.
- Place rice in a strainer and rinse under cold water. Let drain completely.
- In a large bowl add cucumber, panela cheese, basil, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, dried cranberries, pear, arugula, avocado, and red onion. Mix well to combine.
- Pour drained black rice into veggies. Mix well.
- Then add in the mango and give it another mix.
- In a small bowl or cup mix all ingredients for dressing and pour over the salad.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.