Thanks to Disney Magic of Healthy Living for sponsoring this post. Watch their fun-for-the-whole-family new video series Dishes Inspired by Disney and click here to get more healthy, magical recipes inspired by your favorite Disney movies.
In the Disney-Pixar animated movie, Brave, Will-O’-the-Wisp helped lead Merida toward her destiny. Mysterious as they were, they helped answer the unknown and guide Merida in a benevolent way.
And as parents, isn’t that what we try to do?
We offer guidance and support with the hopes that our child will seemingly figure things out on their own. Just like the Will-O’-the-Wisp, sometimes parents have to have a few tricks up their sleeve. And let’s face it, sometimes those tricks involve hiding vegetables.
These Mini Turkey Meatloaf topped with Will-O’-the-Wisp Potatoes will capture your child’s imagination and guide them down the path to good nutrition. But only you, good parent, will know the way…
Will-O’-the-Wisp Potatoes and Turkey Meatloaf
Ingredients for the Turkey Meatloaf:
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped sweet pepper
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
2 slices lightly toasted whole wheat bread (1 cup)
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
Ingredients for the Will-O’-the-Wisp Potatoes:
3 Idaho Russet Potatoes (about 4 ounces each)
6 Purple Peruvian Potatoes (about 2 ounces each)
1/3 – 1/2 cup low-sodium, reduced fat chicken broth or 1% milk
salt to taste
1. Lightly saute carrot, onion and sweet peppers in teaspoon of canola oil over medium heat. When softened, add mushrooms and spinach. Saute a few minutes more, just until spinach is wilted. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Lightly toast wheat bread. Chop into small pieces. This is a good use for the “heels” of the bread, as you’ll be using as breadcrumbs.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, sauteed and cooled vegetables, breadcrumbs, egg, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin and soy sauce.
3. Using a spoon, or your hands, combine throughly.
4. Distribute mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake in a preheated 350(F) oven for 35-40 minutes.
5. While the mini meatloaf are baking, peel and chop potatoes and cover with water in a pot over medium-high heat.
6. Bring to a gentle boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Drain water from potatoes and mash.
8. Add chicken broth or milk as needed and continue mashing until smooth and pale purple. Taste and season potatoes accordingly with salt, as needed.
9. Remove mini turkey meatloaf from muffin tin and dollop mashed potatoes on top of each loaf. Form potatoes into Will-O’-the-Wisp shape with a butter knife.
This recipe was inspired by the video for Merida’s Brave Bear Bento Box from Disney’s new series Dishes Inspired by Disney. Check out the video below:
For the full recipes for Merida’s Brave Bear Bento Box, visit Spoonful!