It can be a little dangerous to make donuts at home. They are really quite easy to make and once you realize that, well, you’ll make them all the time. I try to only make them once in a long while, and when I do they are baked. This easy recipe is from Lara’s amazing book and it works well every time. They don’t keep well so it is good to make these when you have a lot of mouths to feed. When I made these the other day I shaped them with our fun cookie cutters. They were so cute and it was a great way to hug and kiss my family good morning!
X & O Baked Valentine Donuts
adapted from Lara Ferroni
1 large egg
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1 cup whole milk, warmed
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1/2 cup butter, room temperature and cut into small cubes
For the Glaze,
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a stand mixer beat the egg and sugar until well blended. The pour in the warm milk, yeast, salt and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Turn the machine to low speed and slowly add in 2 cups of flour in half-cup increments. Then add in the butter until it is just incorporated.
2. Switch the beater blade out for the dough hook and mix the dough on medium speed for about five minutes. Turn the speed to low and add in the remaining flavor, beating until the dough the flour is just incorporated and the dough balls pulls away from the sides. Mix for about 4 to 5 more minutes.
3. Lightly oil a mixing bowl and place the ball of dough in the center. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and all to rise for one hours.
4. Punch down the dough and roll is out to 1/2 inch thick. Then use a cookie cutter (in this case X & O shaped) to cut out the donut shapes. Place the shapes on two lined baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake the donuts for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Immediately brush with warm butter, dip in sprinkles and serve.