Elisany Silva, world’s tallest teen model? Maybe so. Though she towers over men three times her age, that hasn’t made the 14-year-old Brazilian girl give up on her dream of strutting a runway. She already stands a statuesque 6 feet, 9 inches.
She towers over her parents and virtually everyone else in her town. But in an “embrace-your-beauty” move I can really get behind, Elisany will be making her modeling debut at an upcoming bridal runway show in Belem, Brazil.
Here’s five things about this remarkable girl, including what doctors say about her height.
1. She was forced to stop going to school three months ago because she was too tall to sit on the school bus. (OK, this stinks – any rich philanthropists out there who can help the girl out?)
2. She can’t stand up straight in her own house. “I get distracted and I hit the wood in the ceiling with my head,” she told a Brazilian TV news crew.
3. Doctors aren’t sure why she’s grown so tall. Tests on her pituitary gland have not turned up any problems, and her parents can’t afford more sophisticated treatment.
4. But there’s speculation she suffers from gigantism, which according to Google Health is abnormally large growth due to an excess of growth hormone during childhood.
5. Her mom says her daughter sometimes feels weird because she’s not like the other girls. Hopefully the modeling show will give her some confidence – big is beautiful, Elisany!