Reigning from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, Girl Talk, real name Gregg Gillis, has released his new album to download online illegally – for free!
Mostly known for digital sampling and mashups, the 29-year-old musician is a mystery to many. Here are five things you should know about the American DJ!
1. After the success of his album Feed the Animals, for which listeners were asked to pay a price of their choosing, Gillis made all of his other albums similarly available via the Illegal Art website.
2. In 2007, Gillis was the recipient of a Wired magazine Rave Award.
3. Feed the Animals was number four on Time’s Top 10 Albums of 2008.
4. Gillis began making music while a student at Chartiers Valley High School in the Pittsburgh suburb of Bridgeville. After a few collaborative efforts he started the solo “Girl Talk” project and continued making music under the Girl Talk alias while studying biomedical engineering at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
5. The name Girl Talk is a reference to many things, products, magazines, books. It’s a pop culture phrase. The whole point of choosing the name early on was basically to just stir things up a little within the small scene I was operating from. I came from a more experimental background and there were some very overly serious, borderline academic type electronic musicians. I wanted to pick a name that they would be embarrassed to play with. You know Girl Talk sounded exactly the opposite of a man playing a laptop, so that’s what I chose.
Did you download the new album yet?