My little girl loves soccer. And when the FIFA announcements of where the 2022 World Cup would be hosted I told my four year old that the big game would happen in Qatar. Her reply? “Mommy, what’s a Qatar, is it like a guitar?” It’s when I tried to provide her with an answer that I realized that I knew nothing about this XX country. So where does one find the World Cup 2022 winner Qatar on a map? And what is Qatar like? Here are five things about the Arab nation to share with your own soccer kid!
The map above shows where Qatar is, it is located in the Middle East and is bordered by Saudi Arabia to the south and the Persian Gulf surrounds the country.
- Qatar is also known as the State of Qatar or locally it is called Dawlat Qatat
- Qatar is the third largest in gas reserves.
- The country is a monarchy and has been ruled by the al-Thani family since the middle of the 19th century. The government is run by a Emir and a Prime Minister.
- Qatar is a Islamic country and it’s legal system incorporated both Islamic law and their own civil law codes.
- Their largest city is Doha which has a population of nearly a million people.
- They will get their feet wet hosting an international soccer event when the AFC Asian Cup (the Asian Football Confederation) happens there in 2011.
And my own girl, she’ll be sweet 16 by the time games happen. By then I’m sure she, and I, will know a lot more about Qatar.