So you knew that President Abraham Lincoln could deliver a terrific speech (note the Gettysburg Address), but did you know he was also a bit of a softy? A look at the best Abraham Lincoln quotes reveals a smart and complex man but also a loving son who once said, “All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother.” To read more Abraham Lincoln quotes in advance of Presidents Day next month, read on.
– A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have.
– Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose – and you allow him to make war at pleasure.
– America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
– As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.
– Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
– The people will save their government, if the government itself will allow them.
– The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who’ll get me a book I ain’t read.