Alanis, who married her husband Souleye last May, couldn’t be more excited. “We’re very excited to embark on this journey with each other,” she wrote on her Twitter page.
This couple seems like they are going to make great parents. We know a lot about Alanis, but just who is Souleye? Here are some things you should know.
1) He’s a rapper and his real name isn’t Souleye. Surprised? It’s actually Mario Treadway and he was raised in Massachusetts. He’s just 30 years old. Alanis is 36. He was given his name by a “spirit guide.” “He approached me while I was in a trance state… He covered my ears and said ‘Souleye.’ Then I woke up … I’m on a spiritual path with my music,” he’s said.
2) He was a little phenom. Souleye began writing whymes at 10 years old. He didn’t make it big though until 2005. Relix magazine had a contest that landed him alongside P-Funk on the Jam Cruise.
3) He’s an outspoken activist for several causes. He believes in universal health care and is worried about the decline of Tigers in Asia.
4) He tours frequently so you may be able to catch a glimpse of him live. He’s played all the big festivals including Coachella, Burning Man and South by Southwest. He’s had the honor of topping College Music Journal’s top 20 countdown list for six weeks.
5) He’s never trie to piggy back on Alanis’ fame. The pair had a quiet wedding ceremony at their home in the presence of family members.