Talk about bad timing. Just days after New York Congressman Anthony Weiner had to fess up that he was having inappropriate relationships with various women over the internet, it was reported that his wife Huma Abedin is pregnant.
So who is Huma Abedin? Her name has been mentioned on almost every news show and news website out there, with their wedding photos being shown to millions. Who is this wife who was thrust into the spotlight after her husband’s indiscretions came to light? Here are five things about Huma Abedin.
1) Huma was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1976 and is about 34 or 35 years old. Both her parents were college professors. Her father (now deceased) was a Islamic scholar from India and her mother was a sociologist and was from Pakistan. Her family moved to Saudi Arabia when Huma was two but she moved back to go to college.
2) She attended George Washington University and soon after worked in politics starting off as an intern at the White House in 1996. She intended to be a journalist ala Christiane Amanpour but after she was assigned to the first lady’s office her goals took a turn and she has worked with Hilary Clinton ever since.
3) She is currently an aide to the United States Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton who she has a close relationship with. Former President Bill Clinton was even the officiate for her wedding to Anthony Weiner. She is well respected by her peers with Clinton’s former press secretary stating that, “I’d call Huma one in a million.” he continued saying, “but that would mean there are 5,999 others in the world just like her, and there simply aren’t.” And Hilary Cliton told Vogue that, ““Abedin has the energy of a woman in her 20s, the confidence of a woman in her 30s, the experience of a woman in her 40s, and the grace of a woman in her 50s.” She added that Huma “is timeless, her combination of poise, kindness, and intelligence are matchless.
4) Huma speaks Arabic fluently and is a practicing Muslim. And her marriage to Weiner – who is Jewish – garnered attention.
5) She has been profiled in Vogue and is known for her impeccable style. And she is used to mixing in high power circles and has a history of dating high profile men. Before she met Anthony Weiner in 2008 it’s been rumored that she dated John Cusack and also Lance Armstrong.
She’s already won a spot for the next Smartest Celebrity Moms!