It’s no secret that Bethenny Frankel of Real Housewives of New York City and Bethenny Getting Married had a more than strained relationship with her parents. Oh her upbringing Bethenny recently told People that “I never had a true childhood…there was a lot of destruction: alcohol abuse, eating disorders and violent fights.”
She particularly had issues with her estranged father, the legendary horse trainer Bobby Frankel, who died last November at the age of 64. So who was Robert (Bobby) Frankel?
• Bobby passed away on November 16th, 2009 at his home in Pacific Palisades. Cause of death was from complications of lymphoma. He had struggled with his health for years and had initially beat the disease ten years prior.
• He wanted to pass away at home so he could be with his Australian sheep dogs Ginger and Punch.
• Bobby was considered to be one of the top horse trainers ever. And had trained horses for over forty years.
• He was the second on the list of the all-time money earners for winnings from horse races with his horses bringing in $227,947,775 of wins. Yes, over two-hundred million!
• His horses won almost all the major races in North America with the exception of the biggest and most famous, the Kentucky Derby. That win seemed to allude him.
• There’s a prestigious award for the horse racing industry called the Eclipse Award and Bobby won the best trainer award five times.
• He was born in New York and grew up in Brooklyn. He married twice and only had one child, daughter Bethenny.
• ESPN called Bobby “one of the most successful and respected trainers in the history of thoroughbred racing.”
• He was good friends with ex-Yankee Dodgers manager Joe Torre and Torre would live in Bobby’s house when Bobby would go to New York where he worked half the year.
•Bobby had a close friend and work relationship with fellow trainer John Parisella but that reportedly turned to become a bitter rivalry when Bethenny’s mom Bonnie married Parisella.