Good news travels fast, and apparently there is no where faster than on Twitter.
With it’s 140 characters or less messages like MTV’s “OMG Beyonce just made a huge announcement on the #vma carpet! #baby!!!!!” hit the social media network and hit it hard. The news of Beyonce being pregnant has set a second for Twitter with the most tweets being sent per second than ever before. How many and who did Beyonce beat out for this honor?
Twitter PR department wrot: “Last night at 10:35pm ET, Beyonce’s big MTV #VMA moment gave Twitter a record bump: 8,868 Tweets per second.” The other big Twitter traffic spikes? They were:
- 7,196 tweets were sent per seond during the Women’s World Cup final between Japan and the United States in July.
- 7,166 tweets per second were sent when Brazil lost to Paraguay in the Copa America.
- 6,939 tweets per second when Tokyo rang in the New Year.
- 5,530 tweets per second were sent after the March 11th earthquake that rocked Japan.
- More than 5,000 tweets per second were sent after Osama Bin Laden’s death.
So Beyonce and Jay Z’s baby news beat out the record holder by over 1500 tweets a second. Their baby ain’t even born yet and it’s setting records!