Brett Favre Scandal: Will He Be Suspended For Jenn Sterger Mess? Don't Bet On ItToniFitz76
The Brett Favre scandal has been making headlines for days now, and during tonight’s “Monday Night Football” game they’re bound to bring up this question: Should Favre, a married father of two, be suspended for allegedly sending suggestive text/voicemail messages and nude pictures of himself to Jenn Sterger, a former New York Jets reporter? I am bothered by Favre’s behavior, if it’s true, and I’m also squarely in the “why don’t you just retire already and stop calling all these darn press conferences” camp. But Favre won’t be suspended.
Here’s five reasons why:
1. Favre is innocent until proven guilty and it’s far from a sure thing that he sent the pictures or left the messages for Sterger. The NFL may not be able to prove he did it.
2. Unless he’s done a really good job of hiding it all these years, Favre does not have the history of harassment that would suggest this is a pattern and thus a liability for the NFL. (And again, there isn’t enough evidence in the massage therapists’ allegations.) He may have made a mistake, but I’m not sure he violated the NFL conduct policy.
3. The NFL has bigger things to worry about than Favre sending some naughty pictures. It has players accused of domestic violence, substance abuse and steroids. (Personally, I’d rather they focus on that and let Mrs. Favre deal with her husband’s alleged indiscretions.)
4. Ratings, ratings ratings. The NFL is in the midst of its biggest ratings year in more than a decade and Favre is one of its biggest draws. If they’re concerned about money, which the league has shown it is by that whole ridiculous blackout policy, it will keep Favre on the field — tonight’s game will probably set a ratings record for ESPN after all the hype.
5. Finally, the NFL has shown in the past that it will forgive Favre for anything. He’s overcome alcohol and pill problems; despite all the big talk, they’re not going to hold him accountable for this, either. At least not till after the playoffs are over.
What do you think will he be suspended?