Cathie Black, chairman of Hearst Magazines, will officially replace Joel Klein as the Chancellor of New York City Schools. Joel Klein is stepping down after serving eight years in the role, and now Cathie Black will take over.
In addition to being the next person in charge of the New York City Department of Education, and New York City’s first female chancellor, who is Cathie Black? Here are five things you may not know about her:
1. Cathie Black will prove to be a very controversial figure as chancellor, considering that she does not have prior education experience.
2. In addition to being chairman of Hearst Magazines, Cathie Black was also a former publisher and president of USA Today.
3. Cathie is from Chicago, Illinois, and went to Trinity College in Washington, D.C.
4. She also wrote a book entitled, Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life).
5. Mayor Bloomberg picked her as the new Chancellor of the New York City Schools because he “wanted a chancellor who could build on what Klein started and prepare the city’s school children for the jobs of the future.”