Cory Monteith Cause of Death Confirmed: Makes Us All SadderSunny Chanel
The news that the 31-year-old Glee star Cory Monteith had died was shocking enough, but now to find out the cause of death, it’s even more shocking…and sad.
The Vancouver Police Department released the cause of death on Tuesday afternoon, just three days after he was found dead in his Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel room in downtown Vancouver. Cory Monteith died of a “mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol.”
Yes, you read that right, heroin. There had been assumptions that Monteith had died due to drugs, but most probably thought it was a mixture of prescription drugs, or something like that. Not something as “hardcore” as heroin. The other day, inspired by the death of Cory Monteith, I put together a list of 16 celebs who died too young — from Amy Winehouse to Kurt Cobain (two who were known for regularly using heroin). Did they or the others on the list die from ODing on this notorious street drug? One, only one did (and that was River Phoenix).
Drug overdoses have been on the rise in the United States (and although Moneith died in Canada, he lived in the US). The LA Times reports that “38,329 people died of drug overdoses in the United States in 2010.” A very sad statistic. And 57% of those were due to prescription drug overdoses. Heroin is a very addictive and dangerous drug and one that most would not associate with a TV star like Cory Moneith – who had a squeaky clean patina – although he was open about his battles with drugs.
When I think of people using heroin I think of the tragic junkies on the skid row of my town, or of celebrities like Sid Viscious (who died of a heroin overdose). I don’t think of someone like Cory Moneith. It just shows that addiction and abuse can haunt and hit anyone.
Were you surprised to hear the cause of death?
Photo Source: PacificCoastNews.com