It’s our new Favorite Thing: For the first time in its 11-year history, O, The Oprah Magazine is featuring a man on its cover. And who else could it be but Dr. Mehmet Oz, health guru extraordinaire?
The renowned cardiac surgeon (and dad of four!) wrote a feature story for the January 2012 issue, which hits newsstands next Tuesday. His cover appearance is only the fourth time the magazine has used a co-star (Oprah, of course, usually goes solo).
Just in time for the New Year, he offers a 28-day plan aimed at boosting readers’ physical and mental health. Among his suggestions: walking for half an hour a day (okay, not too bad) and eating dark chocolate (is it any wonder millions of women love this man?).
And because one good turn deserves another, Oprah appears on The Dr. Oz Show today to talk about his article and other hot topics. Read on…Here are a few tidbits we learn from the good doctor on today’s show:
– He misses being a full-time surgeon, “especially the normalcy,” he says. “You get to just be a heart surgeon, and it’s a very Zen moment to hold the human heart.” He also says his profession has helped him connect more deeply with others.
– His wife, Lisa, has written a book called Us, which reveals that the Ozzes have a “very hot sex life.”
– Noted food critic Frank Bruni once called Oz “the most joyless eater he’d ever seen.”
– Oprah advises him to “make a conscious decision that you’ll create balance,” though she admits she has trouble doing it in her own life.
– Oprah and Dr. Oz take tabloid gossip in stride. “So far, you’re the only one I’ve had an affair with!” Oz jokes.
“Well, that makes sense, because Gayle’s having an affair with Stedman!” Oprah laughs.
[Photo credit: Ruven Afanador for Hearst Magazines]