Five Things About "Big Lake," Including Which Famous Dad Is Behind ItToniFitz76
Last night Comedy Central premiered “Big Lake,” a show about a Wall Street trader who hits some hard times (oops! he accidentally shut down a bank and sparked a Congressional hearing) and is forced to move back in with his parents. That’s a little awkward, since he lost nearly $400,000 of his mom and dad’s retirement account as well.
The show is notable for several reasons, not the least of which it marks former “Saturday Night Live” comedian Horatio Sanz’ first notable job since leaving the show and dropping 100 (!) pounds.
But it also has a very famous dad behind the scenes who’s responsible for some of the funniest movies of the past decade. Read on to see who it is, to learn who originally had the lead role in the show before he dropped out, and how Sanz dropped all that weight.
1. The show was created by comedian/writer Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay, who have worked on everything from “Anchorman” (awesome) to “Talladega Nights” (awesome) to “Step Brothers” (awe … actually, the less said about this one, the better).
2. It was originally slated to star Jon Heder, aka Napoleon Dynamite, but he dropped out just before filming began. He was replaced by Chris Gethard.
3. Gethard is best known for appearing in CollegeHumor.com videos and in Manhattan’s famed Upright Citizens Brigade. He was one of Variety’s 10 Comedians to Watch for 2010.
4. Sanz was last seen on ABC’s short-lived “In the Motherhood.” Since his “SNL” days he’s lost 100 pounds, partly through giving up alcohol but mostly from following a strict diet. (He’s almost unrecognizable as the same person, no?)
5. Co-star Chris Parnell is also an “SNL” vet. He’s best known for the “Lazy Sunday” video with Andy Sandberg, one of the first “SNL” skits to truly go viral online.