Today is 90210 Day so proclaimed because it’s 9/02/10 on the calendar and because it’s the zip code of the coolest mid-’90s show ever! It also happens to be my birthday, so I’m particularly psyched. I came up with 10 ways to celebrate the original Beverly Hills 90210 cast, many of whom are now parents (Jennie Garth, Tori Spelling, Brian Austin Green) or for years behaved like children (Shannen Doherty; since reformed).
1. Buy a scrunchie that matches your plaid silk shirt and make like Brenda and Kelly during the early 90210 years.
2. Waver between two girls (Kelly and Brenda). Repeat over and over and over again.
3. Start a campaign to warn nerds about hooking up with the first hot guy who shows interest in them in college so that they can avoid Andrea’s fate (getting pregnant in college).
4. Get a psycho girlfriend like Emily Valentine.
5. Figure out what Ian Ziering’s true purpose on the show was. (Not hot like Brandon and Dylan; not a doofus like David.)
6. Debate why Jim and Cindy Walsh left.
7. Watch the “sequel” on the CW network. Marvel at what great actors the original cast really were.
8. Rock out to the awesome theme song.
9. Decide whether Tiffani Theissen would have done better on the show if she’d removed the “Amber” sooner.
10. Go watch a show at the Peach Pit After Dark.