J. Paul Getty III, father of actor Balthazar Getty, passed away on February 5th at the age of 54 after battling a long time illness. His son, Balthazar Getty, is most well known for his role in Lord of The Flies, and also most recently, for his highly publicized affair with actress Sienna Miller. Other than being Balthazar Getty’s father, who was J. Paul Getty III?
Here are five things to know about the late John Paul Getty III:
1. J. Paul Getty III was the grandson of oil tycoon, Jean Paul Getty. His parents were Paul Getty and Gail Harris.
2. He grew up in Italy, mainly in Rome. His father was the head of the Italian division of the family oil company.
3. In 1973, J. Paul Getty was kidnapped in Rome, and a ransom note surfaced asking for $17 million dollars. The ransom was eventually paid six months after his abduction, and he was returned home.
4. In 1981, Getty suffered a drug overdose, which caused him to have a massive stroke. He also went blind in one eye.
5. He never fully recovered from his overdose, which is what kept him ill and led to his recent death.