Janelle Monae: Six Things About Her, Including That Hair and Her Parents' Humble RootsToniFitz76
Janelle Monae had a great performance on “Dancing with the Stars” last night! The 24-year-old singer/songwriter, who self-produced her first LP and just finished her first LP, has a fresh sound that mixes orchestral notes with a ’60s-style pop/jazz feel. She had the crowd excited last night, and likely won over a lot of new fans on TV, too.
Here’s six things about this promising young singer, including her parents’ humble roots and who styles her hair:
1. She grew up in Kansas City, Kan., and later moved to Atlanta.
2. Her heroes include Muhammad Ali, Stevie Wonder and Barack Obama.
3. Sean “Diddy” Combs calls her one of the most important artists he’s ever signed.
4. Monae has described first album “The ArchAndroid” as “an epic James Bond film in outer space,” citing scores for movies like Goldfinger as her inspiration.
5. She comes from a working-class background. Her mom was a janitor, her stepdad worked at the post office, and her father worked on a trash truck.
6. And of course, the hair: She styles that pompadour by herself, and she calls it her “superhero uniform.” It gives her confidence on stage. She’s been wearing it that way for at least four years, and she wears it in that style even when she’s not on stage.
What did you think of last night’s performance?