For the first time since the sexual assault in February, Lara Logan is speaking out about what happened. She says one of the reasons that she survived was because thoughts of her two children kept her alive.
40 year-old Lara Logan is known as the very popular CBS New Chief Correspondent as well as a 60 Minutes reporter. She was brutally attacked and sexually assaulted by an angry mob on February 11th while covering covering the celebrations in Tahrir Square following the resignation of then Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
The assault almost killed her. She recently sat down with CBS’ Scott Pelley to discuss the events of that day.
“There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying. I thought not only am I going to die, but it’s going to be just a torturous death that’s going to go on forever…”
After 25 minutes of being attacked and assaulted, brutality, Lara was rescued by a group of Egyptian women and Egyptian soldiers and was then transported back to her hotel.
Lara says that what kept her alive during the horrific 25 minutes was the thought of never seeing her two young children again.
Within hours, she was flown out of the country and back to the States. She was put into the hospital for four days.
She knew is was finally all over the moment she saw her kids. “I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn’t deserve…because I did that to them. I came so close to leaving them, to abandoning them.”
“I am so much stronger,” she says as she continues to work through the recovery process. She also hopes her story will empower other victims of sexual assault.
To hear Lara talk about the full horrific ordeal, you can watch 60 Minutes on May 1 at 7:00 p.m. In the meantime, you can see a short video clip of her talking about how the assault began here.