McDonald's Recalls 12 Million Shrek Glasses Because of Cadmium PoisoningMara Siegler
McDonald’s is no longer just harming kids with cheeseburgers, fries, and other artery clogging, calorie-laden food. The fast food giant is recalling 12 million of their collectible Shrek glasses due to a high level of the toxic metal cadmium.
If you have one of these, DO NOT USE. Cadmium is a known carcinogen that can cause bone softening and severe kidney problems. If you or your child has already been using the glass, don’t worry. Any damage caused would be due to very long-term exposure. Ronald McDonald will be posting refund instructions on his web site next week.
The 16-ounce glasses came in four designs depicting the characters Shrek, Princess Fiona, Puss in Boots and Donkey. The pigment in the paint used to create the designs contains the toxin.
Scott Wolfson, a rep for the Consumer Product Safety Commission, said the amounts were “slightly above the protective level currently being developed by the agency.” McDonald’s is asking customers to stop using the glasses “out of an abundance of caution.”
“We believe the Shrek glassware is safe for consumer use,” Bill Whitman, a rep for the burger giant, said. “However, again to ensure that our customers receive safe products from us, we made the decision to stop selling them and voluntarily recall these products effective immediately.”
If your child is sad about not getting to use his glass, I suggest taking him to see Shrek Forever After again. The film has been No. 1 at the box office since it opened on May 21. If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s ogre-sized fun. Take a look at Babble’s review here.