A newborn baby is a precious, beautiful, wondrous, fascinating Miracle of Life that brings joy to his or her parents every day.
A newborn baby is also demanding as hell.
And after a few days of nonstop feeding, changing, cleaning and cuddling, even the most smitten new mom starts to crack just a bit. I brought home my firstborn days before a major blizzard, and by the end of the first week I began to wonder if I’d ever see the outside of my apartment or have a hot cup of coffee ever again.
That’s why it’s so important for mothers to take time for themselves whenever they can, even if it’s as simple as a walk around the block or a midday nap.
Hilary Duff is taking that lesson to heart. Mere days after the birth of Luca Cruz Comrie, she wrote a weary 4 AM post on Twitter: “whew this job is no joke!”
But now that she’s had a few weeks to adjust to her new life as a mom, she’s starting to give herself some much-needed non-mom time too.
What are Hilary’s New Mom Sanity-Savers? Her tweets tell the tale:
1. Dinners out. She first went out with friends a week after Luca was born and raved about her “grown up din.”
2. Salon therapy. A couple of days after the “din,” she reported, “Just got my hair did with my girl @RiawnaCapri thanks love! Im Feelin fresh! Heading back home to hang with munchkin. ”
3. Working out. Hilary started exercising her post-baby body with a short session on the elliptical and a Pilates class. Last week she kicked it up a notch: “Holy sore body!!! @soulcycle kicked my booty!!! Ouchiee.”
4. Shopping. She wrote on Monday, “Luca taking a nap = mommy doing some damage on @NETAPORTER dammit why do I love shiny things!! ”
5. Watching grownup movies. Yesterday, she and sister Haylie went to see The Hunger Games (a far cry from Sesame Street!). “Finally!!” she tweeted. “now I can get a goon [sic] night sleep maybe…”
Looks like Hilary is getting the hang of being a mom – and finding Hilary-time, too!
What are your mom-therapy musts?
[Photo: via PacificCoastNews.com]
Read more of Shana’s writing at Momsperiments.
And don’t miss a post! Follow Shana on Twitter!
Don’t miss the latest from Famecrawler – like our Facebook page!
More on Babble: