One of the wonders of watching your children grow up is realizing how much they take after you – and how different they are from you at the same time. When I see my son with his nose buried in a book, I think, That’s my boy! And when my daughter shows off her dance class moves, I laugh, She doesn’t get that gracefulness from me!
Jenna von Oy, who’s expecting a baby girl in June, is having fun pondering what qualities her little girl will inherit from her and her husband. She shares her thoughts on her blog for People today.
“I wonder if she’ll take after both Brad and I by possessing an unnatural obsession with coffee, or if she’ll be a sentimental pack rat, as we tend to be,” she writes. “I also speculate about her almost inescapable love of animals. Considering that we share our house with five dogs, she had better inherit that one!”
Not that she asked, but having been in the mom business for a few years, I can offer my own observations on the subject:
- Yes, it is possible to have blond, blue-eyed children even if you have dark hair and eyes. I’m living proof. Sometimes when I’m out with the kids, I worry that people think I’m their nanny.
– Don’t expect your child to pick up your food preferences, even if you try to guide them in the right direction. I have a friend who’s been vegetarian for years. Her daughter is a total carnivore.
– Yes, your child will inherit some of your less desirable qualities – and let me tell you, it’s a real shock to hear yourself saying, “Pick up those dirty clothes right now!” just the way your own mom used to say to you.
– You’ll be absolutely thrilled when you see your child master something that you never could do yourself. Jenna says she has a brown thumb, so when her daughter grows her first sunflower plant, you’re going to see one misty-eyed mom.
– Don’t get too caught up in wondering which side of the family your child takes after. Just enjoy her uniqueness and have fun!
[Photo: via PRPhotos.com]
Read more of Shana’s writing at Momsperiments.
And don’t miss a post! Follow Shana on Twitter!
Don’t miss the latest from Famecrawler like our Facebook page!
More on Babble: