“The Real Housewives of New Jersey” reunion was great entertainment, sure, with Danielle Staub’s haughty jabs, the mystery of Teresa Giudice’s nephew (still unsolved!) and Andy Cohen getting turned into a rag doll when he tried to come between the two women.
But I couldn’t help noticing as I watched: The RHONJ essentially uphold every bad stereotype of women that’s out there, from gold-digging to cat-fighting to, ugh, hair extensions.
Now I realize you could just say “hey, turn off the TV – we all know they’re ridiculous.” But objecting to the housewives’ foibles aren’t just a matter of personal taste. The RHONJ are bad for all moms, and here’s why.
– They set a terrible example for their children. How can they teach their children that fighting, gossiping and overspending are not good things, when they’re on national TV doing them themselves?
– They put fame before family. There’s no such thing as humility or going off-camera for these attention-seekers, even when it hurts their family.
– They reinforce the stereotype that women are catty. Even so-called friends talk behind each others’ backs and betray each other. That may be the biggest argument against the RHONJ.
– They have no discipline. Most of the moms I know out here in the real world know when to raise a ruckus and when to shut up, depending on what will benefit their kids. The RHONJ have no such filters.
– They are a bunch of gold-diggers. Exhibit A) Bankruptcy court-bound Teresa.
– Their wardrobes are just plain scary. Dress age-appropriately, please – no one wants to see someone’s mom dressed like early Britney Spears. And please retire all hair extensions.